Saturday, May 2, 2015

Ahhhh...be still my heart!!

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
I realize I don't actually need another book read-along or reading challenge or book club in which to participate, however... 
 I am joining others in the Gone With the Wind Read-Along initiated by Corinne at the pursuit of happiness

This cover (to the left) looks nothing like mine!
About two years ago I purchased a copy of this classic. 
My edition is definitely "classic"/"used"! 
Okay, in reality, it is old, published in 1964! (Almost as old as I am!) And it looks it, with the edges of the pages yellowed with age and I love it! I am obviously the first person to actually read it, which always makes me wonder about previous owner(s)!
My other copy was  paperback, but this is a hardback, 
and much more to my liking! 


At 10 pages in I am reminded of the first time I read this as a teenager. What fantasies I created from this text! I imagined myself as Scarlett, of course, the belle of the pre-Civil War Southern U.S. And then as one of the slaves. Then as Melanie. Then Ashley. And finally, as THE MAN, Rhett! Raised in a household of women, I always believed Rhett to be a real "man's man"! Though in reality, I had no idea exactly what that meant! :)               

And, oh, the pictures I found online to supplement my blog posts. I really MUST watch the movie again, but not until I have reread the book! 
                                
Check it out at the pursuit of happiness!

The reading schedule for this read-along is as follows:
          Friday, May 1st: initial post about how excited we are to begin! (I truly am!)
        
          Saturday, May 16th: Check-in for Chapters 1-10 (145 pages)
          Saturday, May 30th: Check-in for Chapters 11-20 (99 pages)
          Saturday, June 13th: Check-in for Chapters 21-30 (118 pages)
          Saturday, June 27th: Check-in for Chapters 31-40 (147 pages)
          Saturday, July 11th: Check-in for Chapters 41-50 (122 pages)
          Saturday, July 28th: Check-in for Chapters 51-60 (79 pages)
          Saturday, August 1st: Check-in for Chapters 61-63  (23 pages) FINAL DISCUSSION

How about you? Have you read this book? (This will be the 6th or 7th time for me!) Or have you watched the movie? (This will be the 6th time I've watched the movie, and only the first time I wasn't in a movie theater to do so!) I can never decide which character is my favorite, 'cause I always feel Mitchell does such an excellent job of characterization that I know each one so intimately!

To the South I go! 

8 comments:

  1. You've read it more than me! This is only my fifth read. AND THE BEST ONE! But I've watched the movie so many times I cannot remember life before it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! I can't remember much of life before reading the book. Truly, it was one of the most fantasy-making books I ever read as a pre-teen/tween/child! :) But, oh my, those wonderful images created by the movie...mmm mmm mmmm! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm a little older than your copy of Gone With the Wind, too. :) My copy is like the one you have pictured -- it has laid unread on my shelf for three years.

    I've seen the movie but this is my first time to read the book. I'm glad to be reading with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I am soooo glad you're going to read the book! It will be exciting to hear your reactions since this is your first reading!

      Delete
  3. I still haven't read Gone with the Wind, but I know I should! Enjoy the read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Melinda, IMHO you definitely should! However, I do know how it is...when to add it to the lineup! :) I just can't imagine you would be disappointed, but then we each have our own unique reactions to each book, don't we? :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely to have you aboard Lynn. Re reading GWTW has been a fascinating process. All the extra bits you pick when you're not racing through to find out what happens next.
    The movie images are also very powerful & influence one's reading - trying to seperate the two out is tricky!

    I look forward to your posts as you catch up to us. Just pop along and add comments when you can. Several of the others have done posts each time. Where as I put all my thoughts into the comments of other people's posts. Either way is fine by all of us :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this the first time you have reread GWTW? It's amazing to me how I never tire of it! Here's to catching up! :)

      Delete