Saturday, October 31, 2015

R.I.P. X Closeout for Fall 2015!

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril X
Remember this from my introductory posting September 2nd?
It is RIP X and ends today, October 31, 2015!
Thank you to The Estella Society for hosting!
You should know by now that I do NOT read horror 
and do NOT like to be scared!
However, I DO love mysteries!
You could select books from any of the following categories.


The books must be from any 
of these categories:

Mystery

Suspense


Thriller


Dark Fantasy


Gothic


Horror


Supernatural





Although this was my goal:
to read at least 4 of the 5 books
I had listed....



This was my result:
I read 3 of those 5 books
and am only "Peril the Second"!



However, given the fact that you only had to read 2 books to earn "Peril the Second," I feel certain my category should be "Peril the First and One Half"! :)

If you've been following along on my R.I.P. X page, you would know I read and reviewed the following 3 books:

The October 2015 Literary Wives read was a perfect fit for this!


The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison
Though I initially feared this might be too scary and/or creepy for me...since I'm such a wuss...I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't scare me all that much! I found it fascinating!





Second was a book I have wanted to read ever since discovering it at a library sale. 
a mystery written by none other than 
A.A. Milne! 
Yes, that's correct, the creator and author of the Winnie-the-Pooh series
also wrote a mystery!

It was enjoyable. Written in the same tradition of  Agatha Christie or Ngaio Marsh.
A nice little English countryside murder
and resulting investigation! 







And last, but by no means least...X by Sue Grafton!
This 24th installment in the Kinsey Millhone series
was one of the best, in my humble opinion!
I love Grafton's writing and her protagonist, Kinsey.
Upon reading the publisher's blurb, I initially feared that Grafton had veered into territory I would not like, being inside a sociopath's mind for most of the book. Fortunately, however, my fears were not realized!
Grafton hits one out of the ball park yet once again!



Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and After Her by Joyce Maynard
are still on my TBR list and I'm confident that, provided I live long enough,
I will have read and reviewed them both. The sooner the better! :)
Did you participate in this scary challenge?
If so, what did you read?
Any you would recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment